There Is Only One Race in the World

I finished my fourteen hours of instruction in Introduction to Biblical Counseling. The fifteenth hour will be used for the final exam tonight. Because the material is more about grasping concepts rather than memorizing facts I will allow them to use their notes and Bibles during the exam. We’ll see about the results. I am an incredibly easy teacher (imho).

I budgeted my class time to allow for a lot of Q & A today. Most of the questions surrounded marriage counseling. Cultures are very different in the Caribbean but the sons of Adam still have the same hearts. We spent a lot of time talking about “exception clauses” for divorce in Scripture (not just Matthew 19), but the bigger picture was my burden. I tried to explain that we should focus our pastoral counseling and teaching more on what God intended marriages to be before we look for legitimate reasons to end them.

Simply put, God intended the man to pursue, protect and provide (do the loving thing) for his bride and He intended for the bride to respond. That’s Christ and the Church. That’s an evangelistic message that goes back to Genesis. Adam certainly didn’t go looking for God after he sinned. In a world that often fails to care for those who are vulnerable, divorce in Scripture became an option to protect a woman when her husband chased other women (stopped pursuing), abused her (stopped protecting) or abandoned her (stopped providing).

Adventure report: My rooster friend decided that the sun should come up at 3:11 a.m. today. The sun didn’t obey, but he did not quit crowing until after 5:00 a.m. We had a large traditional Haitian lunch today (rice with chicken legs, sweet onions, peppers and peas in a sauce). I imagined that my two chicken legs were from a familiar rooster. But I heard him again at 3:11 p.m. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?