More Important Than Living

I’ll start my first entry with some words from Thomas Watson, my favorite Puritan, commenting on question one of the Westminster Shorter Catechism: The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever. Watson said, “Everything works to some end in things natural and artificial; now, man being a rational creature, must propose some end to himself, and that should be, that he may lift up God in the world. He had better lose his life than the end of his living.”

I liked that last sentence. Living out God’s purpose is more important than living.

Adventure report: My connecting flight to Miami was to leave Chicago at 7:15 last night, but mechanical failure put us off until around midnight. We arrived in Miami at 3 a.m. Central Time, not enough time to get a motel (I cancelled the reservations I had). I need to get off the plantation more. I rarely get to see angry selfishness on the surface like I did in watching and listening to some of the other passengers in Chicago. I usually keep my selfishness and anger stuffed way there down where it can rot my soul rather than spew it on airline employees.

I arrived in Port-au-Prince around 8 a.m. (same time as Central Daylight), having mustered a quick 45 minutes of sleep on the floor at MIA before my connecting flight boarded. They don’t make airplane seats for big guys, so sleep was nearly impossible on any of the flights. I was met by Dr. Jim Bearss, Predestin and a couple of guys who helped with luggage. I'm not whining. I'm preparing for a good night's sleep in my room (which does have a ceiling fan).

I was whisked to the beautiful guest house where we are staying and then visited three of the four orphan homes we support. More on that later. Haiti Bible Institute classes start tomorrow. Stay tuned. Pics will be posted on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting, keeping us non-Facebookers updated. :-)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?