Haiti Bible Institute 2011.06: Responding to Mercy

This morning we had a worship service. I love hearing the guys sing even though I only pick up on a few of the words. I got to be the speaker again this year and took advantage of it as an extra class session. Since I have been focusing on the gospels I preached on the sinful woman who wept at Jesus’ feet in the home of Simon the Pharisee from Luke 7:36-50. Simon could not see why he needed mercy and the unnamed woman overflowed in her response to mercy.

No matter how impoverished or wealthy you are, proud independence moves you to forget how you received what you have. We are each like a turtle on a fence post. You know he did not get there by himself. That is why ungratefulness is such an evil. It makes you forget that all the comforts you enjoy were not earned and that you are even breathing borrowed air. Moses warned Israel not to forget to respond to God’s great mercy and grace [my bold highlights]:
Beware that you do not forget the Lord your God by not keeping His commandments and His ordinances and His statutes which I am commanding you today… Otherwise, you may say in your heart, “My power and the strength of my hand made me this wealth.” But you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He who is giving you the power to make wealth… Deuteronomy 8:11, 17-18
The man in our text was very satisfied with himself. The woman in our text was very satisfied with Jesus. She responded. Below are some final observations I made comparing the two “students” of Jesus in that room. Which one do you most resemble?

Simon                                                                        The Sinful Woman
1. He gave when there was personal benefit.     1. She gave as a response to mercy.
2. He thought highly of himself.                             2. She thought lowly of herself.
3. He thought accusingly of Jesus.                       3. She thought lovingly of Jesus.
4. He kept Jesus at a safe distance.                     4. She drew awkwardly near to Jesus.
5. He gave sparingly to Jesus.                              5. She gave freely to Jesus.
6. He was unforgiven.                                             6. She was forgiven.

I am thankful that even in a third world Caribbean nation you can connect with home these days. I didn’t get my way in either game last night, but watching parts of the NCAA Final Four is another taste of home.  Also, several of the men got to “meet” Sarah and some of the kids via video chat after class last night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?