Haiti Bible Institute, Monday, April 9, 2012


Today started kinda early (2 a.m.). My son Josh had to work screening talk show calls at KTIS radio, so I was thankful his short Easter break helped me get to MSP. I arrived in time to get past the ever-cordial TSA staff for a 6:25 a.m. flight. I got to Port-au-Prince (brief stop at MIA) around 1 p.m. and faithful Pastor Predestin Herard was inside the airport waiting for me. He found a way to sneak into Immigration to help me and my luggage get through huddled masses of travelers, airport officials and airport unofficials (persistent “helpers”) and into the steamy streets of the city.
Predestin dickered with a man at a local tool rental business and we procured a gasoline generator for the Bible Institute for just over $40 American per day (the going rate is $60). Rumor has it that the guest house where we meet is now on the same power line as President Martelly’s house. Oddly enough the power (oops—shut off while I was writing) is on much more these days. Saving gas is good.
I get the same pleasant room for studying and sleeping I had last year. Internet access should be available tomorrow (the likely day I post this entry).
The staff somehow found me fast food pizza, French fries and a fish sandwich to eat for supper (a few will wonder, like I did, “Where in Port-au-Prince did they find…?”). I am here alone for now with a few workers who know no English, so I am staying in my room ruminating on my dangerously short vocabulary of French and Creole words. I smile and wave a lot. We are experiencing a very heavy tropical rainstorm right now. It’s very loud but sort of exciting.
From my reading in the air somewhere over the Caribbean:
To be brutally honest, it doesn’t really matter what place you find yourself in right now. Your part is to bring Him glory—whether eating a sandwich on a lunch break, drinking coffee at 12:04 a.m. so you can stay awake to study, or watching your four-month-old take a nap.The point of your life is to point to Him. Whatever you are doing, God wants to be glorified, because this whole thing is His. It is His movie, His world, His gift. –Crazy Love, Francis Chan, pp. 44-45

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?