Haiti Bible Institute, Thursday, April 12, 2012


Today I have five one-hour sessions to teach. We started an hour late because the kitchen staff and both translators evidently had their watches set to Eastern MaƱana Time. It really doesn’t matter to me since I have no place to go.
My counseling course for this final track will walk the pastors through the same exam I took to receive my NANC biblical counseling certification. We are answering the questions with actual case studies in an attempt to move from theory to practice. I want to help them see that being a pastor (shepherd) really does include helping people learn to please God with their attitudes and actions in the home, community and workplace. This is all very practical. My new translator (who is not a student) even paused his translating last night to talk about a situation he is dealing with in his church.
Teaching through a translator is always a challenge. It takes more than twice as long to communicate. I am so used to using uniquely “first world” metaphors that I often catch myself speaking of things these men have never experienced. Try explaining “roller coaster” to a Haitian (and “train” will not help you). The only way I know the guys are getting what I teach is to ask lots of questions. The type of questions they throw back tell me if they are engaged and understanding.
Here is another quote from Francis Chan in Crazy Love:
The best things in life are gifts from the One who steadfastly loves us. But an important question to ask ourselves is this: Are we in love with God or just His stuff? (p. 62)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?