Haiti Bible Institute, March 15, 2013 (Installment Three)

We had a full day yesterday. The power only went off twice, so my voice held out until my 7 p.m. class when I was again competing with the diesel generator.

I taught five more one-hour sessions from the epistle of James. I was a little concerned at first that I would not get through my 38 pages of notes in 17 hours, but I think the translator is getting used to me and we are having fewer communication slowdowns. The next hurdle is my Romans course, which has 160 pages of notes. That will introduce a new adventure on Sunday.

I am enjoying this group of men. I have noticed that, while they are humble and teachable, many of them think critically. I am working through some texts that they have never studied so closely. They are taking extensive notes and asking great questions.

I appreciate honest questions. One student had been told that David and Jonathan were homosexuals. I explained that there was nothing sexual in David's mourning over the loss of his friend and publicly saying that Jonathan's extraordinary love to him was "surpassing the love of women." I also had to explain that Martin Luther was not a 20th century civil rights leader.

One again class starts at 7 a.m. I may trade my afternoon sessions for evening sessions so I can go to the girls' home of My Father's House. Watch for pictures on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?