Haiti Bible Institute, February 20, 2014

Yesterday between classes I caught a ride to My Father's House orphanage. My primary objective was to get some pictures of the children and the facility and to deliver some cash from Providence Church. I get a little nervous carrying a thousand dollars cash in Barron County. You might imagine carrying that much money through international airports and on the streets of Port au Prince. It made my money belt feel like Frodo's necklace approaching Mordor.

After unloading the money (treasure in heaven, not a volcano) and taking some pictures I helped match up some clothes with some boys (sent by another congregation). Knowing my ride back to the schoolhouse was not yet available, I asked Pastor Predestin (orphanage administrator, a.k.a. George Mueller) if there was anything I could do to help. He suggested I speak to the children, so we gathered 91 of them and their workers in the shade of one of the buildings and I introduced myself, explaining that I come from a place called Wisconsin where the snow is up to my knees.

My impromptu speeches are very much limited to Bible, so I recruited the biggest boy, the smallest boy and five smooth stones (no shortage of rocks in Haiti). Through my interpreter (PP) I explained that while they had all heard the story of David and Goliath I wanted to bring out what we usually miss. The story is not about being brave David and boldly killing the giants in your life. My big point: David is not the hero of this story. Goliath was powerful and made his money killing people. David was weak and made no money because he simply worked for his father. David was handy with a sling, but what was that against Hulk?


I compared David to the boys at MFH. They all agreed that the "odds" are stacked against them in 1 Samuel 17 proportions. But the answer to those odds is not fleshly achievement. Hard work driven by pride creates wealthy monsters. The answer is to seek hope in the one who is the real hero of the David and Goliath story. This is the one who conquered sin and death. This is the foundation for living a life that is not wasted by living for self.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?